Blog Archive

Friday, January 13, 2017

Instant Counter Space in the Kitchen


I was looking for some new burner covers on Amazon the other day and ran across what is called  instant counter space.     I really liked the clean look of the piece that you set on top of your range.   Some of the ones on Amazon even doubled as sink covers and cutting boards.    Anyway,  the ones available weren't really a good fit for the style of my kitchen,   so I decided to design one myself.


Here's what I came up with!      


I really like the uncluttered look that it gives my stove top.     Before I show you more about the instant counter space,   I want to give you a close up of the vignettes to each side of it.


How do you like the faux metal ceiling tile back splash that we finished earlier this week and I'll do a post with more details on that project later.  

The vignette on the rights side of the stove  has one of the four Debi Coules canvas's that H bought me for Christmas .....my new pink rolling pin (Target has them in stock right now in the Valentine decor at the front of the store)   and pink ball jar measuring spoons and spoon holder  (both available at World Market as well as some other pieces too!)  silver measuring cups and spoons  (I've had them quite a while but I think Pier One has them now) 


The vignette on the other side is a FF pitcher that I bought at a yard sale.....the top was missing so I repurposed it as a vase!


I wanted to give you a little info about how H made my instant counter space.  


It was a pretty easy project.    I had a empty white picture frame on hand that was the perfect size for my stove top.   H filled the frame in with thin plywood.....used  3D spray adhesive to attach fabric to the plywood before nailing it to the frame,   and the handles are from HL.


It was such an easy project that H had time to make one for the sink too.   


I already had this piece of fabric covered thin plywood on hand ,   but it was wider than the sink.   Rather than cut it smaller,   H added "feet" to it with some 1 x 2 inch board from Lowes.      The handles are  from HL......I would have used the same handles that I put on the stove piece,  but HL only had one set of those.


What happens to my instant counter space when I need to use the stove or sink?    The sink piece fits perfect on the bar at the end of the island and the stove piece can sit on the Hoosier desk.


Or ......I can stack them!


I love my new "Instant Counters"  thank you H!

16 comments:

  1. Oh my gosh I love this idea! Raised burners always used to bother me when we had them - same thing, lost counter space! And the one for the sink is a pretty neat idea, too! Love the fabrics and the handles aswell. They both look great! xoKathleen Charm Bracelet Diva {At Home}

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your kitchen is simply stnning and it couldn't be otherwise, given your so lovely taste, darlin Penny !
    Every post of yours fascinates me so much, yours is truly an art, Sweetie, and this time you've given me such a wonderful idea for my stove top, I heartily thank you !

    Wishing you the best of weekends

    Xx Dany

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love the covers your hubby made for you. How wonderful to have a hubby who can listen to your vision and make it for you. They are so handy and beautiful. Looks like you're both very talented.....you make a great pair. Lovely.......Judy

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love yet another of your kitchen statements! I am afraid I would burn down the kitchen with the one on the stove, but I often use the glass top stove as a work area--- so I may have to try this. I bought a bunch of trays at the flea mkt last year and decoupaged them to give as gifts... I use one small one on the kitchen counter.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love this idea! Both look great!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love it! Very nice...Very pretty! Hugs, Leticia

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great work. It's great to have a handy husband.

    ReplyDelete
  8. You make me need to dig in my frame stash and reuse some of all the frames I have stashed. My thought though was a cloth work surface, won't stand up to actual uses. Did you coat the fabric or seal it? Thanks for posting such great ideas, Sandi

    ReplyDelete
  9. Penny,
    You and H never cease to amaze me!! What a great idea!!
    Hugs,
    Deb

    ReplyDelete
  10. What a clever idea for the stove top! You never stop to amaze me
    Hugs Alessandra

    ReplyDelete
  11. Penny, I'm sure I'd do much better at "clean-as-you-go" cooking if I had your kitchen! It's so Front Parlor I wouldn't want to mess it up! I especially like the sink cover as that's where I can use the extra counter space.

    ReplyDelete
  12. What a perfect solution! This is much better than those individual burner covers! Thank you so much for sharing at Celebrate Your Story!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hi Penny, What a great idea! I'm always looking for more counter space it seems! Thanks for sharing your idea! Well done! Blessings, Janet

    ReplyDelete
  14. Wow...this is such a neat idea!

    I would love for you to share this with my Facebook Group for recipes, crafts, tips, and tricks: https://www.facebook.com/groups/pluckyrecipescraftstips/

    Thanks for joining Cooking and Crafting with J & J!

    ReplyDelete
  15. HAAAA! I found it by searching on your blog. This is SUCH a genius idea and I didn't know they actually MADE things like this. My kitchen is so small that any time I can create extra counter space, I'm all in! So cute -- off to find a frame that will work for me! Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete

It makes my day to hear from my friends!