Blog Archive

Sunday, February 4, 2018

Styling a Vintage Dough Bowl


This vintage dough bowl belonged to my mom,  so it's been in the family a long time.      I haven't used it in a couple of years,   it's just been being used to hold my ever growing collection of dried flowers from the yard.     I've had it stored in  the big space under the armoire that sits in the corner of the sun room.    


I decided to dig it out......dust it off.......and create a field of dried flowers to put on the buffet in the sun room.


My dough bowl is packed full of dried flowers,     so I was able to use them like floral foam an just stick the tall flowers in. 


Most of the flowers  in my dough bowl came from bouquets I've made using the flowers in the back yard.      I have found that flowers hold their color better if you just let them dry in the vase........when the water has evaporated,   the flowers are normally dry by that time.


I don't know what I'm going to do with the flowers that I dry this summer since my bowl is full!


I surrounded the bottom of the bowl with dried moss and sheep.


I bought this bouquet of rose buds at a yard sale many years ago for a couple of dollars and it's still one of my favorite pieces.
 

Funny story about the rustic chair on the right.........


I came out of a antique store one day    (H said he wanted to sit in the car and take a nap)     He looked at my empty arms and said  "didn't you find anything you liked"    I told him not this time.     He then told me that while I was in the shop a pick up loaded with stuff came by and the man went in to see if the shop wanted to buy anything      The shop owner came out with him ......looked around the stuff in the pickup bed and picked out a gorgeous antique birdcage.      H got out of the car and looked to see if there was anything he wanted.       He wanted the chair!      


SO    ......moral to the story.........H can find better stuff than me by just sitting in the car!


8 comments:

  1. Your dough bowl looks so pretty with the floral arrangement. Great find by your husband with the chair. It is very unique!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Penny,
    Love the dough bowl and how you styled it!!! Amazing! and very Spring like!! We have another 6 inches of snow predicted for tomorrow!! We got 3 inches on Sunday!! The chair is fantastic!!! H is definitely a keeper!! LOVE it!!
    Hugs,
    Deb

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love your dough bowl with the flowers. Your sweetheart sounds like a wonderful man. =)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Dear Penny, thank you for joining my link party. It's always a pleasure to visit your blog. I could look at those beautiful photos for hours! Hope to welcome you back soon, warm regards,
    Dagmar Bleasdale
    www.dagmarbleasdale.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. Bless him...I laughed, my husband would be driving the pickup giving my 'stuff' away. Anyway, on the dried flowers. This was exactly the purpose of drying flowers in Victorian times, when they didnt' have FTD and fresh flowers in every store. Your arrangement is perfect for the space and simply lovely. As a floral designer for a few years, back when dried flowers were really in----we had to find creative ways for people to use them, and I would have copied this and put it on the design table for January or February, simply gorgeous! Sandi

    ReplyDelete
  6. Very pretty! Thank you for sharing at Vintage Charm!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Cute story, cute chair. I love the flowers too. Perfect for this time of year. Thanks for sharing at Keep In Touch.
    Katie
    Let's Add Sprinkles

    ReplyDelete

It makes my day to hear from my friends!