Blog Archive

Wednesday, July 27, 2022

Christmas in July, Vintage Tom & Jerry Punch Bowl, and More

 

Christmas is my favorite holiday and I love to decorate our home inside and outside for the season.       I also get in the spirit when Christmas in July comes around too.    I don't get too carried away decorating in July but I do try to have a few friends and family over for a party.



 I usually have my party around the 25th of July,  but I'm running a little bit behind this year.   
 
   

 
I set up a " portable bar" in the back yard    I've repurposed a vintage ironing board that belonged to my Grandmother by using it to serve Tom and Jerry's at the party    A Tom and Jerry tastes like a warm Christmas cookie to me.....I'll share a recipe later in my post.   



I did a search on my blog to see when I got the T  & J punch bowl.   I knew it was from the 50's when I bought it....and now I've had it 9 years    I took a pic of everything I bought after the auction back in 2013  ....I got some neat stuff that day
 


I don't use hardly any of my traditional decorations for my Christmas in July party.....although you can see Santa peeking out from the studio      Instead,   I like to put a summer twist  on my decorations.    I used a watermelon / sunflower theme on the front porch this summer,   so I decided to incorporate it in some way with my Christmas in July decorations    I created a fun watermelon themed centerpiece for the bar. 
 

I also created a fun piece for the side table by the wicker chaise lounge 

 
 The grands are going to love my fun decorations this year
 

Now for my recipe for the batter I make for my Tom & Jerry's.....



The recipe can be cut in half,   but since it freezes so well I make the whole one    I serve the batter in the punch bowl and everyone makes their own.      You can add water to the batter....hot cocoa,  brandy....anything you like.    The grands have fun making their non alcoholic versions of a Tom & Jerry.


Here's a photo of Grandma's ironing board.   When I was a little girl,   she would let me iron Grandad's handkerchiefs and the pillow cases.    I was really to young to iron,  so I'm sure she helped me.....she also let me dust all her breakable pretties.   I was her first grand and she spoiled me rotten....lol
 

I will share how I decorated my Christmas in July tree in an upcoming post.....hugs



 

3 comments:

  1. Gorgeous, gorgeous, gorgeous. I have a vintage ironing board too that I painted and stencilled so here's another use for it. I can't believe the Grandmothers (mine included) used to iron pillowcases :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love your Christmas in July decor. The Tom and Jerry punch bowl is beautiful. I have always wanted one. I have never had a Tom and Jerry but it sounds delicious. Thanks for sharing the recipe.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love your Christmas in July decor. I'm going to try the tom and Jerry batter sounds delicious.

    ReplyDelete

It makes my day to hear from my friends!