Blog Archive

Monday, September 4, 2017

Dressing My Pumpkin



This was such a fun project!  
I have made pumpkins from fabric before,  but I hadn't ever dressed a plastic pumpkin in one of my old shirts......lol!


I loved this shirt years ago when I wore it to work,   but it's been in the back of the closet for years.    Well,   ever since I started wearing a uniform of leggin's and ruffled frilly blouses.


I didn't want to cut up one of my favorite shirts,  so I had to come up with an idea of how to dress my pumpkin and not harm my shirt.    Never know when I might undress my pumpkin and wear it again!


So,  here's my big pumpkin and my shirt......


The only alteration I made to my shirt was to slip stitch the neck opening closed.


Then I buttoned up the front of my shirt......set the pumpkin inside .....and tied everything else up at the top  of the pumpkin.


The sleeves and shirt tail gave me a long piece of fabric to make a stem with.  


I set my pumpkin on the coffee table in the family room......


I wrapped a long garland of leaves,  cotton bolls and small white pumpkins to make a nest for my pumpkin.    This is the same garland that I used on the fireplace.   ( I found it at At Home)


My new shirt pumpkin made the plain Jane ones that I had on the hearth want a make over too.....


See how sad they look......


I wrapped the taller pumpkins in a big square piece of fabric that I had.   Hobby Lobby carries this preruffled fabric pretty much all the time.    I forgot to take a photo of the stem tail on the pink pumpkin,  but you can see how I did it in this photo.   I just tied the fabric in a few places with twine to hold it altogether while I wrapped the larger twine around the fabric to make the stem.


I love the texture that the ruffled fabric gave my pumpkins.....


I have another big pink pumpkin just like this one.....maybe I should go thru my closet and find a shirt for it!


Hope everyone had a safe and fun Labor Day weekend!


28 comments:

  1. Que divertido vestir la calabaza con una camisa. La imaginación al poder... me haces pensar que podría vestir yo en mi casa... Un saludo cariñoso.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Never in a million years would I have thought to cover a pumpkin in a shirt. I love it, such an awesome idea. And that is the reason I keep coming back. I am so happy you share all your ideas with the rest of us.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Friends like YOU are the reason I love to blog! I told H when I started my blog that I wanted to share decorating ideas and that's what I try to do....hugs....

      Delete
  3. Penny, This is clever and so pretty. I could be making a ton of pretty pumpkins, with all the clothes in my closet. Blessings, xoxo, Susie

    ReplyDelete
  4. I LOVE that idea!!! I've used sweater sleeves to cover smaller pumpkins and I love that too! Only downfall is you have to CUT the sweater! Love your blog!!!
    Debbie, from the OR Coast

    ReplyDelete
  5. HAHA! That is adorable! They came out great too. I loved how you did the stem! Very cool idea. Stopped over from Tuesdays with a Twist! pinned

    ReplyDelete
  6. Your pumpkins are lovely Penny, the shirt idea, is so cute!!! Leads to great inspiration!!
    Thank you for sharing on
    Have a great week!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Absolutely loved the pumpkins! Sooooo cute!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Your pumpkins are gorgeous! What a great way of incorporating a lovely pastel into autumn decorations! Thank you so much for sharing this great inspiration with us at the Hearth and Soul Link Party. Have a wonderful weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hello! I saw your link on Simple Nature Decor and had to tell you what a great idea you have. Normally I see velvet pumpkins and ones that are painted. Yours is so unique with a plaid shirt theme. I'll have to try it.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wish I had one room like this just for me and the girls, no boys allowed. Found you on Bloggers Pit Stop.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love this idea - so pretty! Thanks for sharing at The Blogger's Pit Stop! Roseann from www.thisautoimmunelife.com

    ReplyDelete
  12. Penny,
    OMG!! What a fantastic idea!! I love them!! Next week, I will be bringing down my Fall decorations for the Living Room from the attic. I will have to see if I have any pumpkins that I can do this to!!
    Thanks for the inspiration!!
    Hugs,
    Deb

    ReplyDelete
  13. Really cute! Thanks for sharing @ Vintage Charm!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I love the shirt pumpkin, and the long stem really makes it standout. Hope you share this on Sunday's Best.

    ReplyDelete
  15. thank you for sharing your lovely shirt pumpkin at TFT pinned and featured xo

    ReplyDelete
  16. What a smart idea with your pumpkin! Thanks for sharing at Home Sweet Home!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Such a pretty pumpkin now with the addition of your shirt, and I love that realistic-looking stem! What kind of makeovers are the other pumpkins going to get now???

    ReplyDelete
  18. I don't know how you ever came up with this idea, but it is so cute! Thank you for sharing it with us at Party in Your PJs!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Happy Pink Saturday. Penny, I love your pumpkin dressed in one of your favorite shirts. Brilliant and pretty, too.

    This post is being featured on my Pink Saturday post this weekend as "the one that caught my eye". Thank you for sharing, and for always making Pink Saturdays special.♥

    ReplyDelete
  20. Oh my, those are absolutely darling, Penny! I love that you didn't need to or want to cut up those shirts, and the pre-ruffled fabric....hmmm...I think I need to check that out!

    Warm hugs,
    Carol

    ReplyDelete
  21. Love all your pumpkin decor. Thanks for sharing this with us at the Inspiration Spotlight party. @dearcreatives

    ReplyDelete
  22. How clever Penny... that's a gorgeous shirt pumpkin. I spied my artwork and pillows in the room too. You are so sweet my friend. Thank you for supporting handmade artists.
    Thank you also for linking up every week at Create, Bake, Grow and Gathered. I'm delighted to be featuring your lovely shirt pumpkin at tonight's party. Pinned too!!
    Hugs,
    Kerryanne

    ReplyDelete
  23. Love that you dressed one of your pumpkins in a shirt. It is adorable. Thanks for sharing at Snickerdoodle.

    ReplyDelete
  24. Very pretty! You could do this with a plastic pumpkin & put the excess fabric down inside.

    ReplyDelete

It makes my day to hear from my friends!