Blog Archive

Friday, June 28, 2019

Repairs to the Back Porch



This year,  it seems as though we have had to do more repairs to our property than usual.     The high winds we had over the winter were responsible for a lot of the repairs that had to be done.     But,  the repairs that the back porch needed were simply wear and tear.     


Here's how the porch looked this morning when I took my pics......


The second level of the porch didn't hold up as well as the first level did.     The rails on the second level had both rotted at the ground and had to be taken down.    


Since the sides to the porch came from a matching head/foot board our only choice was to either replace all 4 of them,   or try to replace just the rotted 2    I had a couple of pieces tucked away in one of my stashes  that I thought just might work.   I had bought them at a yard sale several years ago .....never used them.....thought about selling them.....glad I kept them!


They were originally an oak color,   but with a coat of pink paint......I think they look pretty good!


I'm frequently asked the color of paint I used.     H used the last of a gallon that had got stuck in the back and forgotten about.     I don't know if Walmart still carries it or not....it's Color Place....Pinwheel Pink


I have a chair for each of us on both sides of the porch......we can sit on this side if we want to enjoy the morning sun.....


or this side if we want to be in the shade.


While H was repairing the porch,    I decorated a little for the 4th of July.     I hung a pastel flag behind each set of chairs,   I hung a pink and blue star over the faux windows,    and filled the bicycle baskets with potted plants.


I hung a pretty pink flower basket on each side of the porch......


and the final touch was to stick a group of pink, white, and blue flags in my white geranium basket.


H gave the little metal settee a fresh coat of paint when he was painting the porch .    He used Valspar aerosol on it....the name of the color is Radiance 


There have been lots of changes in the back yard since 2014.       If you look to the right edge of the 2014 pic,   you will notice that we did have a deck coming of the sun room.    Last summer we updated the deck......      


Here's how the deck looks now......


and just a few days ago.....


Again,  look to the right,   and you will see the greenhouse,    It was added in 2014......

2014 


Now


We enjoy sitting in our backyard sipping on a glass of sweet tea.      There is a shady spot somewhere in the back yard all day long and I try to have a couple of comfy chairs in those places .   
 

I always enjoy your visits so much,   please stop by again soon!








 



7 comments:

  1. Simply lovely! I always enjoy dropping by on Pink Saturday. Stop by if you get a chance!

    Cottage Blessings,
    Rebecca

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't know how you both have time to sit in all those chairs as busy as you are decorating!
    It is a feast for the eyes though. Have a great holiday week coming up.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Never thought about using headboard and foot bards like that! Unique!

    ReplyDelete
  4. What an impressive use of headboards/footboards! So creative. What a cozy place you've created!
    #madebyyoumondays

    ReplyDelete
  5. Good morning Penny, Love the pink impatients in your bike basket. They are hard to find up here, but do love them. Wow, the work you and Mr H put in on your property is never ending, but well worth all your hard work. I love how both of you make everything so beautiful and great for all of us visitors.
    Thank you. May God continue to Bless this great United States of America. May you and your family have a very bless 4th of July. I do hope your family gets together for the day.
    Leona

    ReplyDelete
  6. Penny,
    You have left me speechless...Just when I think you have created the most amazing thing, you go and shock everyone with something more ingenious and amazing!!! I thought it looked fantastic before but I really love the spindles!!!And your yard is so pretty and inviting..I wish mine was a bit bigger so I could "play" more....
    Hugs,
    Deb

    ReplyDelete
  7. Your porch is really lovely, Penny! Thanks for sharing at Vintage Charm!

    ReplyDelete

It makes my day to hear from my friends!