Blog Archive

Monday, July 5, 2021

Unique Kitchen Drawers used as Storage for my Dishes



I was at an auction several years ago when these hand painted drawers came up for bid.    I immediately fell in love with them.....didn't know what I would use them for.....but bid on them anyway.    I won the bid at $16 for the set.    Lots of work went into painting these drawers and I was surprised that they sold for only $4 each,   but happily loaded them in the car.       


In the before pic you can see how they have been hidden all these years behind a curtain.     In the after pic,   you can see how I have uncovered them and made them a star in my kitchen.


I changed out the floor length pink curtains for white Battenburg 3/4 length curtains.


Now for a look behind the scenes......lol!


I have tons of gorgeous china to create lovely table scapes when we have company or even when it's just H & I........



Now for a peek in the drawers.......


A lot of my dishes are inexpensive yard sale finds and I use them to create mix and match table scapes,,,,,,,,which in my opinion are even prettier than tablescapes I create with my more expensive matched sets of dishes


My white and blue dishes......and I love to mix them with some red goblets  I have to create Patriotic tablescapes.


When not in use,   this is where I store my enamel lids that you have seen me use many times on the stove top as burner covers. 


 
Now for a closer look at the smallest of the drawers that I keep under the Hoosier cabinet.


Not only do the drawers have hand painted flowers on the front......


The drawers all have flowers painted on the bottom as well.    This was the only drawer that I was ambitious enough to empty out where you could see the bottom of it......


I wish the artist that painted the drawers would have signed them.....lovely work!


Thank you so much for stopping by to see the unique drawers that I use for odds and ends dishes.    I hope they inspired you to maybe transform some odd drawers that you have on hand and use them in a different way!    Please share your ideas in a comment.......hugs....





 

14 comments:

  1. I always enjoy seeing how you repurpose things! The drawers are so beautifully painted and such a clever way you are using them. Made me smile!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Who ever did these drawers did a beautiful job, what a steal Penny. Love them....

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for sharing the lovely art work. The drawers are such a wonderful idea for any place in the house. I do like the idea for storing the odds and ends China. I love China. You have got me to buying unusual milk glass. I just found the most beautiful white milk glass epergne. The bowl is 10 inches and each horn is about 4 to 5 inches at the opening. I can hardly wait to set in the middle of my dinning table. Thanks for all your wonderful ideas.

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a unique, beautiful idea for storage. I love it! Thanks Penny! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your drawer painter was a student of Donna Dewberry, as they're done with her style of painting. Now I'm thinking "Where can I find a couple of drawer to put under my Hoosier?" LOL!!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. It must have been a very cool cabinet....! Great idea, and I've used drawers for lots of stuff over the years, mostly in my shop! Hugs, Sandi

    ReplyDelete
  7. Penny,
    Those drawers are so pretty!! a true work of art...I love how you used them to store dishes...I am always looking for space to store dishes which I seem to keep buying....Thanks for sharing!
    Hugs,
    Deb

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm so glad they're not hidden anymore. Thank you for sharing at Party In Your PJ's.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Penny, these are gorgeous. I always love looking at your home and the way you repurpose. It is just lovely.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Loved seeing the Courier and Ives dishes in your blue and white drawer. I have my Grandmother's set. I remember all the Christmas Eve dinners at her house growing up.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Great storage idea. Thx for posting at Funtastic Friday.

    ReplyDelete
  12. These are so pretty, I cannot believe someone would sell hand painted drawers like that. What a fantastic auction find.

    ReplyDelete

It makes my day to hear from my friends!