Blog Archive

Sunday, July 23, 2017

Floral Design using a Hay Bale for the Container


Daisies are a very common flower,   but the ones I found for my summer floral design are far from common.    Aren't they gorgeous!  
I found these in the 70% off isle at Michael's on Friday and couldn't wait to get them home and use them in a summery floral design.   ( I also used a 20% off total purchase coupon too......can't beat a price like that!)


I planned  to use my daisies in a centerpiece for  the big Farmhouse table on the front porch,    So,  I picked up one of my "go to" containers to put my flowers in.


.   Yes,   one of those bales of hay that you see in the craft stores in the fall is my "go to" container.    I usually buy several to have on hand since this is the only time of year they are in stock,    I bought mine a Hobby Lobby.... 40% off..... for about $8.   The stores all  have smaller ones and larger ones available to meet your needs.  
I put my bale on a gold tray to contain the mess that they make,   but if you're not going to be moving your centerpiece around,  you wouldn't need to put it on a tray.


I am using several kinds of daisies in my design,  but these are my favorite.


The hay bales are pretty sturdy so I am able to use them over and over.    I just stick my flowers in the tightly bound bale and it holds them in place without using hot glue or any type of adhesive.


I shove the plant pretty far into the bale for a more realistic look and then spread the individual flowers out.


I  used several different types of daisy.....these have a hint of pink.


I filled in around the daisies with some ivy plants.


I buy almost all of my silk ivy plants at yard sales for a dollar or two........I use lots of them in my designs,  so I have to get them at a good price!


I also added a little moss around the bottom of the bale of hay.
 

 Don't daisies look great with the popular Farmhouse look!
 

The bale of hay that I have in the back of the pony buggy in the front yard has been there about 3 years.   I left the plastic wrap on it and just stuck my flowers thru the wrap and into the bale.    I think it still has another year of use left in it!


This is a big bale of hay that I bought at the feed store several years ago.    Looks like it could stand to be replaced,  but it still holds my flowers in place even though the color is not great.
 

I hope this tip will help you make big floral designs for your home easier..... and cheaper too!

12 comments:

  1. This turned out so lovely! I love your kitchen too!! Have a wonderful week!

    Blessings,
    Jill

    ReplyDelete
  2. Daisy arrangement looks great and what a Great idea. You are so clever. Something I will have to remember when it comes to decorating for the holidays :} Thank You
    Oh, by the way; love that darling apron you have hanging on your oven door in last photo.

    ReplyDelete
  3. So impressive!! Love the full look of the arrangement and they look so real.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Penny,
    What a great idea to use a bale of hay!!! I will be going down to Michael's now to look for one!! The daisies are lovely!!
    Hugs,
    Deb

    ReplyDelete
  5. A lovely idea and love the flowers. Thanks for sharing with us at #overthemoon. Have a great week!

    ReplyDelete
  6. El fardo hace que se vea muy natural, por aquí no he visto vender fardos de heno para decorar... he hecho algo parecido con una cesta, hiedra y margaritas. Un saludo.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love the idea of the hay bale. It would work with real flowers also if you used those little plastic flower holder thingys.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Your flower arrangement in the hay bale is so attractive! I can see that using plenty of faux flowers and a few trailing vines it the key to making a wonderful-looking display.
    Carol ("Mimi") from Home with Mimi

    ReplyDelete
  9. What a great idea. How cute are those daisies?

    ReplyDelete
  10. I the use of the hay bale, and the white daisies are beautiful. Don't you just love bargains. Thanks for sharing on Sunday's Best.

    ReplyDelete

It makes my day to hear from my friends!