Blog Archive

Sunday, March 5, 2017

Laundry Room Mini Makeover


I haven't made any changes to the laundry room in several years,  so I figured it was time to update it a little bit.

  The first change that I made was to separate my side by side washer and dryer.    That left a large space in the center of them for a new storage unit.


On the left is the old storage unit that found a new home in the studio.     On the right is the new unit that H made me.  


I filled the new unit with storage boxes that contain my ever growing collection of paper plates and napkins that I use in tablescapes.     


I don't normally do any spring decorating in the laundry room.  but since I was redecorating anyway....why not add a few!


The unit that H made is very rustic....which is a new way to decorate for me.   He was surprised when I didn't want it painted white.   I love all the new metal and farmhouse style accessories that are available in the stores now,  so I decided to add some of them to the utility room.


I recovered my chair with part of a full sized fitted sheet that I had on hand.       I also added  a pretty pink and white buffalo check pillow to the back since I sit there for a while each day doing my hair and make up.   (the laundry room also doubles as a beauty shop...lol) 


I used more of my sheet to make new covers for the the shades on the chandy that hangs over the desk.

More Easter decor since I was already redoing the laundry room anyway....lol!


I hung the matching top flat sheet on the wall under the window.    I used clothes pins to hang it from a wire clothes line.

 The last part of  the fitted sheet is on top of the new storage unit that H made to fit between the washer and dryer.    Yard sale sheets are my "go to" fabric when I have a large project. 

Before...............................After

In this before and after photo you can also see how I left the exiting Battenburg lace and bed spring valance but changed the flowers.    I have a close up of further down the post.....


I changed the mirror with one I had on hand ................


The sea shell mirror went to the studio to store until I find a new place for it.     The new mirror is a left over from a redo in the hallway.


Here is a close up of the new valance .   I used the bed springs as a vase for single stemmed roses.    The big buffalo check bows came from the fireplace mantel.....which got a new look for Easter.


Since the dryer is now over by the window,   I decided to add a pretty green fern to the top of it.


I put my fern in a galvanized pail ...remember...... I am adding some metal and farmhouse style pieces!


I get asked a lot where I store everything.    Well,   I have the studio ......and the utility room has tons of storage


There is a long set of built in cabinets on the side of the built in desk and if you look to the far right of the photo,  you can see another small set of cabinets peeking out from behind the door.    Those cabinets hold my candles and candle holders.....can't show you the inside though because it's too messy!


These cabinets could use a little straightening up but they weren't too messy,  so I'll let you see inside them.....


I have vintage and everyday use bed linens stored here.     I also have yard sale sheets for large fabric projects stored here too.


There's a long set of built in cabinets above the washer and dryer where I store cleaning products and misc.


Behind the doors on the left side of the room is the hot water heater and the heating unit.....the refrigerated air unit is outside.

Doing laundry is not much fun but I think a happy bright area can make it a little more fun don't you!





26 comments:

  1. I like your pretty storage boxes.... and what a wonderful amount of cupboards for storage. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh Wow Mrs. Penny i do love your gorgeous lamp shades that you made over the desk, and your beautiful linens that is in your beautiful cabinet, and i just love everything i saw in your beautiful wash room.... now that would make me feel good just to go in there and do my laundry or anything else i wanted to do!....great job as always and sooooo gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
  3. A nice little work space too, for small projects. I can see setting up mending/etc. here. We have our washer dryer in the kitchen which is convenient, instead of going up and down stairs...so I do love having it on the same level for carrying things. Lovely and very, springy! Sandi

    ReplyDelete
  4. The laundry room is very cute. Love your idea of using the vintage bed springs for the window valance. Your vision always produces the most beautiful and fun vignettes. I keep all your posts in a special folder as I love to go back and look at all the fabulous ideas you have. Very inspiring and uplifting. Thank you for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I wouldn't mind doing laundry in there at all. Very pretty.

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a happy laundry room! I love it! :) Thank you for sharing with us on the Art of Home-Making Mondays at Strangers & Pilgrims on Earth!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love everything you do, every single before and after! This room looks very romantic
    Hugs Alessandra

    ReplyDelete
  8. It looks so lovely! I just love the furniture!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love how cheerful you've made this space! A wonderful collection of lovelies you have combined in this room!

    ReplyDelete
  10. A romantic laundry room! So sweet, Penny. I can't believe how much storage your home has. That is a huge bonus!!!! Love it!!! xo Diana

    ReplyDelete
  11. Your laundry room is gorgeous! I'm envious of all the storage space! I love everything you post. Friend always, Regina

    ReplyDelete
  12. Penny,
    Love all the changes that you have made!! You never cease to amaze me with what you can do with a sheet!! LOL!! I just changed our Powder Room over to my pink and black sort of Victorian look from the Winter Snow Buddies......and I am finally taking down my Valentine's décor...I have actually worked quite a bit lately and had no time.....
    Hugs,
    Deb

    ReplyDelete
  13. Thanks for always linking up and sharing your decorating ideas with us at #OvertheMoon Link Party.

    ReplyDelete
  14. If you've got to do laundry anyway, it might as well be done in a beautiful space!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I want to paint my laundry room cabinets, and walls, but will need the hubby to be gone when I do it. Maybe he will go to the lake house soon, and leave me here. (lol) Then, I can get it done. He doesn't allow me to climb when he's here. :) Your laundry room is lovely. You have such a talent for decorating!! Beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Goodness! Your laundry room is nicer than any room in my HOUSE! Beautiful colors and prints!

    ReplyDelete
  17. This is lovely. Who knew laundry could be done in such style?
    Amalia
    xo

    ReplyDelete
  18. What? A laundry room with no clothes all over the floor? Lol. Really this is the cutest laundry room I have ever seen, I think I might actually like doing laundry if I had a room like this...might.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Beautiful laundry room! And I love ALL your décor, our home is 107 years old, I decorate, or try to, a lot like you do! Beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Separating the washer and dryer was a great idea and thanks for letting us take a peek into your storage closets and thank you for sharing with us this week at Celebrate Your Story, have a great weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Wow, you have a beautiful laundry room, and it is huge!

    ReplyDelete
  22. I would definitely love to do my laundry if our LR looked as sweet as yours! Thanks so much, Penny, for coming to the Let's Talk Vintage party each week! Giving you a feature today!

    ReplyDelete
  23. Penny, your laundry room is sweet as can be! Your new, industrial farmhouse touches are lovely, but that ornate mirror--to die for :) Thanks so much for linking up your posts with us at Vintage Charm--

    ReplyDelete
  24. Penny, you're incredible. I'm amazed at how you can make even a laundry room look beautiful and romantic. Wow, what a ton of storage you've got in this room--and you need it for all your beautiful linens.

    Thanks so much for joining the Grace at Home party. I'm featuring you this week!

    ReplyDelete
  25. I love this room! You did a great job, don't think I would mind do laundry so much in this pretty room, Hugs

    ReplyDelete

It makes my day to hear from my friends!