Blog Archive

Sunday, October 22, 2017

Let's Make an Upside Down Christmas Tree



I've always thought it would be fun to decorate an upside down tree,   and I decided this would be the year I did it!


I looked around at the ones available in the stores.....they all seemed a little large,  and who knows if I would even like it or not!        So,  H and I put our heads together and came up with a plan to make one.


I picked out one of the small pink trees that I already had.......a vintage iron Christmas tree stand that I already had,   and rebar,  paint,  4x4,  and hose clamps that were left over from previous projects.     

 H painted the stand and the rebar with my favorite spray paint.....Ballet Slipper.    


H cut the 4 x 4 the length needed to fit in the stand and  drilled a hole down the center to stick the rebar in,     He added some wood shims around the 4 x 4 for extra support and also hammered some small wood shims down the side of the rebar for extra support.    


H used a 3/4 wood bit to drill the hole for the rebar and a hack saw to cut the rebar to the length needed for my tree.


Then we just wired the tree upside down to the rebar.
   H had originally planned to use the hose clamps you saw in the earlier photo to secure the tree to the rebar,  but changed his mind and used bale-ing wire instead!


So,  here's my upside down Christmas tree.


I left the bottom iron piece on in case I want to change it back to a right side up tree.     All I would have to do is remove the wire holding it to the rebar and put the stand that came with it back on.


I know I keep calling it a Christmas tree,   but for now it's going to be a Fall tree.


I started at the bottom of the tree which is now the top......lol.....by adding a big yard nest that I made a couple of years ago.


I filled in around the nest with silk roses and cotton bolls. 

Then,   I started adding  fall ornaments to my upside down tree......


Pink owls.......glittery chandeliers......
 

Antlers,  acorns,  more owls,  moose antlers....... 


 I placed some pink pom poms I made around the tree stand.    I didn't want to cover up my vintage tree stand with a skirt,   but I wanted to decorate it somehow.....and this is what I came up with!
 

I placed my fall tree on a tea cart.....


In the left photo you can see how the tea cart can be used as a desk   or    to set food that didn't fit on the dining table   or    to set finger food for guests to mince on when we have a party.

 In the photo on the right,   you can see how I can put the side down if we need the extra room in the dining area..


I have cleared last weeks tablescape off and am ready to create my tablescape for this weeks post.


This was such a fun project and I hope that I shared enough information that you could make one if you wanted to.


Have a blessed week ahead!

22 comments:

  1. Well, that's fun, Penny! I have only ever seen the upside down ones hanging from the ceiling before...but the stand works good, too. Looks like fun to me! xo Diana

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Diana, I've seen lots of pretty things in your shop, I know you'll do well. I had only seen the ceiling ones too, but I've seen the standing ones on Amazon, and at At Home, you can also order them thru Walmart. Who knew...hugs...

      Delete
  2. Wow!! that is a very innovative idea... n a fun project to do..

    ReplyDelete
  3. PENNY!!!
    You just took my breath away!! Now that is true Victorian style!! The Victorians had upside down trees but I too, like Diana, have only seen them hanging from the ceiling!!! Victorians loved them because they displayed ornaments better as they hung down freely. LOVE IT!!!!! I need you and H to come to Pa. to make me one!!!
    And I love the way you have decorated it for Fall. Several years ago when I started to decorate Tress for every Holidays and Season, I got myself out of the habit of calling my Trees "Christmas Trees". Now they are called just "Trees"!!I will let you in on a secret..I have started decorating the upstairs for Christmas already. I will finish it this week....You know I have to start early...
    Hugs,
    Debbie

    ReplyDelete
  4. How cute & clever Penny! When I was a little girl in Toledo Ohio there was an old rich section of town called Ottawa Hills. (this was about 1955) One of the main streets had a lovely home with a huge picture window and that year the owner put an upside down Christmas tree hanging from the ceiling in that enormous window! It looked as if it was totally loaded with lights and sparkling ornaments of every color of the rainbow. Needless to say it was a traffic stopper! People couldn't get enough of this bazaar display. That was the only year they did the upside down tree. Perhaps the village didn't want the traffic jams it created! However every time I visit my hometown and drive down that street I look at that house and remember that incredible sight. The picture window is not as large as I saw it as a child, but I still see that tree hanging there. Thanks for reminding me of such a great Christmas memory Penny!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh my Penny
    your upside down tree is just so beautiful!
    Hugs,
    Karen B.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ohh...Your project is so cute. You are so inventive!!!
    Hugs Alessandra

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow I love your upside down tree decorated in pink and for fall. I love your ornaments. You and your husband did a great job with the tree. Thanks for sharing at C&C with J&J. :)
    Julie

    ReplyDelete
  8. I've never seen an upside down tree! How fascinating! Thanks for linking up at the Blended Blog!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Now upside down Christmas trees will be all the rage. Good stuff.

    ReplyDelete
  10. The owl is so cute. I want to try and find that and add it to my tree this year.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Visiting your blog is like a visit to fairyland! Such a lovely escape. This is so beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  12. What a beautiful, creative project! I love how you have decorated your upside down Christmas tree. Thank you so much for sharing, and for being a part of the Hearth and Soul Link Party. Have a lovely week ahead!

    ReplyDelete
  13. So unique and creative!! Thanks for sharing on More the Merrier Monday link party!!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I love the idea of having the tree sit in a stand - and your vintage one is gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Your tree looks so beautiful, and I am sure that it would still look beautiful either way up. I do miss having a Christmas star on the top.

    Kathleen
    Blogger's Pit Stop

    ReplyDelete
  16. This is so pretty! Thanks for sharing at Vintage Charm!

    ReplyDelete
  17. I'm totally mesmerised by your upside down Christmas tree Penny. Thank you for sharing at Create, Bake, Grow & Gather this week. It will be one of my features at the party on Friday.
    Hugs - Kerryanne

    ReplyDelete
  18. That is the first time I've seen a tree like this Penny! I have to admit once you decorated it it looks fabulous!

    ReplyDelete

It makes my day to hear from my friends!