Blog Archive

Monday, May 20, 2019

No Sew Custom Slip Covers


The question I am most asked is "where do you get your slipcovers?"    My answer has always been "I make them".......but that is not entirely true.      I'm going to share my secret with you today!


Before I do that though,   I want to share a couple of  tips to help reduce the stash of pillows that you have to store when not in use. 
The first tip is.....order the pillow cover only,   skip the pillow.    The second tip is......go ahead and get those pretty seasonal pillows and use them year round.     I love the feather pillows that I bought in the fall,   so I turn them over and use them year round.


I "tacked" a pretty crochet piece to this one.   

   ( I love my new white enamel clock that I bought at Hobby Lobby in the 75% off isle.)


The rose garden in the back yard is just full of roses,    I cut bouquets for every room in the house....lol!


I "tacked" another crocheted piece to the matching fall pillow.


I wasn't tired of the cow picture that I took down to put up Easter decor,   so I just hung it back up when I took the Easter stuff down.

Easter /  Spring decor.............................................Summer decor

Now,    I will reveal the secret about my slip covers.    The main complaint I've had about store bought slip covers is they lack personality......and if that isn't enough.......they have to be straightened frequently.    I found that if I put the cushions on top of the slip cover instead of under it,    no more straightening!


The foundation of my custom slip cover is a plain simple one that I bought premade a long long time ago.        


I take my cushions and wrap them up just like I would a Christmas package.    When you sit on the sofa cushion,  everything stays in place just like a sofa without a slip cover.

Safety pin a pretty dust ruffle to the premade slip cover to give your sofa a custom look.


You can make your sofa a one of a kind by using different fabric on the cushion and changing the dust ruffle.  


I like different textures,   so I mix up the fabrics that I use on the sofa and love seat.   


I have one more tip to share.     Most of the fabrics I use to customize my sofa and love seat come from yard sales!


The pretty Chenille spread I used on the sofa was only $5 at a yard sale......that's a lot of fabric for not much money!


If one of the cushions gets soiled,   I just unpin it and throw it in the washer


On the love seat,   I have covered the back of the premade slip cover with a piece of Matelasse and covered the cushions with some pretty Battenburg lace fabric.


I have a Patriotic theme started in the family room for summer.    I hung a star in the dining room and have the fireplace mantel done,    just a few more details and I will be done with the family room for a few months.


I always enjoy your visits so much,    please come back soon!





12 comments:

  1. Oh, I like your idea of putting the cushions on top. I hate having to straighten all the time. Everything looks so pretty and I love using pillow covers now too. I bought a little toy stove and showed it a couple of posts ago. I didn't want to wait to long to tell you. I've always loved your little stove! Hugs!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Penny, You are the best ever decorator. I love the idea for covering a sofa and love seat. Putting the cushion on top makes so much sense. It is hard to keep a sofa looking nice when kids climb all over it when they visit. Putting on crochet work on the pillows is a great idea for showing the crochet work. It is so much fun to decorate. I have a big counter that runs the length and around one side of my work desk. I decorate and have flowers and plants and in the windows too. The guys miss things when I take them home. They like the plants at work. I work with a bunch of engineers, but they love the plants. It is great because we are at work more than we are at home our a wake hours. Someone anonymously at Christmas sent me a big poinsettia, so enjoy your decorations and plants, girls, others do appreciate beauty.
    Thanks, Penny for always sharing beautiful things and great ideas.
    Leona

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks Penny... everything looks So Lovely! Do you have an online source for the pillow covers? Blessings on your day, Judy

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love your dust ruffle idea! Thanks for sharing at Vintage Charm!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Everything Looks so great, you are far ahead of me. I am still trying to plant my containers up for Spring. Loving your dust ruffle idea, thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  6. You are so clever Penny!!I always love your slip covered sofas and now I know the secret.
    Thank you for sharing this tip at Create, Bake, Grow & Gather this week. I'm delighted to be featuring your no sew custom slip covers at tonight's party and pinning too.
    Hugs,
    Kerryanne

    ReplyDelete
  7. Penny,
    I am playing catch up again!! Love the slipcovers!! I adore that enamel clock!! That really caught my eye!!
    Hugs,
    Debbie

    ReplyDelete
  8. Penny,
    I love your idea for the custom slip covers. You always have such creative ideas. Congrats on being featured at Over The Moon linky party.
    https://eclecticredbarn.blogspot.com/2019/06/over-moon-linky-party.html
    Hugs,
    Bev

    ReplyDelete
  9. Love your ideas! Thank you for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I just love your style. I get excited every time you post something.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Penny , I think you are Amazing.

    ReplyDelete

It makes my day to hear from my friends!