Blog Archive

Sunday, July 22, 2018

Barn Sale and Week End Treasure Hunt



Saturday,  our treasure hunt began at a barn sale in Canyon Texas.     Canyon is about 80 miles from where we live,  but a short drive......4 lane and 75 mph speed limit.  .    


The barn was behind the main house and the sweet 80 year old lady that was hosting the sale  told me that she used to rent the barn out for weddings.

Main house.................................................................Barn


I can only imagine how the barn must have looked when she had it decorated for a wedding.


The sweet lady told me that her first love was painting furniture and she still dabbled in that.     She had painted chairs and turned them into planters for her succulents.


She tucked silk flowers into the live succulents to add a little color to her planters.    $20 each for the chairs and that included the plant.  
 

She had several pieces of her painted furniture for sale ......
  

Everything was so resonably priced......$25 for this unusual DP table.


She had several long tables of knick knacks.....most were a dollar or less.


Lots of free stuff too!


Up the road from the barn sale was a country home that was available to rent for weddings.


Such a pretty country home......


And it had a barn on the side of the main house  that was available to rent for weddings.   

 In fact,    they were getting ready for a wedding the day we were there.


Back to the barn sale........what did I buy?   
 I have been keeping an eye out for a vintage high chair for our grandson.     He's 18 months old and big enough to sit at the adult table


I think I'll change the color to make it fit in better with the decor around it.....white or maybe pink?


She added hardware to the top and on the step......$12 


H bought a leather weight belt and an old meat grinder at the barn sale.


We went to a few more yard sales Saturday.     

  How sweet is this metal dress form       It would look cute in the flower bed as a scare crow.....just add a hat and some clothes.


Wooden yard art.......$5 for the puppy family


$5 for the wooden duck family   
  I couldn't figure out how to show you my dogs and ducks and then I thought  "stick them in the hay"       I put a hay bale in my chicken wire truck.......I'll show you my finished project later!


Metal rolling pin holders.......$1 each
 

I also stopped by Hobby Lobby while we were out.......


90% off  made this  steal at 20 dollars.

We had a wonderful day treasure hunting........our grand daughter Kyleigh joined us and we had a yummy lunch in Amarillo at the Plaza. 
   Next Saturday,   we plan to drive over to the Junkfest they have on the last Saturday of the month in Lubbock Texas.      I'll take lots of pictures to share.






13 comments:

  1. So Many wonderful treasures. I loved the plant chairs. Your chair was a great buy. Enjoy your new fun things. Blessings, xoxo, Susie

    ReplyDelete
  2. I would have bought several of the furniture items at those prices! Cool sale!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like the green of the high chair...makes your greenery pop! I wouldn't change the color at all....

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow, one good thing after another!
    Karee

    ReplyDelete
  5. i also think you should leave the chair green. pink for a boy aaa. the things at the barn and thrift sale were realy cheap sure whish i could find sales like that. your house is wonderful as usual

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love going to yard and barn sales. The one at the elderly lady's barn looked great! I like the little painted chairs with the succulents in them. Great prices. Love your little high chair. So fun! Cheryl

    ReplyDelete
  7. Well I had to come see what goodies you found, I'll bet you have that chair painted quick. THere were lots of fun things she had in the barn, the 4 legged table was unusual and Id bet is really old and would be beautiful restored to an original finish.

    Thanks for sharing on #OMHGWW Linky Party
    Hope you have a lovely week!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I don't think a grandson will appreciate photos of him taken in a pink chair ...later in life, so I vote for white distressed with the green showing through. Great find!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I think I would have lost my mind! This is totally marvelous!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Cute find with the vintage highchair. I agree with Barberry Lane about the pink. I'd keep it more gender neutral. leaving the green base and distressing it with a softer color. Great find on the cubbies. It was your day!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Penny,
    You always find the best things!! LOVE the metal dress form and it will look great out in the garden!! The vintage hugh chair is a buy as is the wood piece that you bought at Hobby Lobby.an't wait to see what you do with all your treasures!!!
    Hugs,
    Deb

    ReplyDelete
  12. Love the story about the 80 year old lady. Those pretty chairs she still paints and adds plants. Wow! I hope I am still doing and creating at 80 plus. Happy Summer, Kippi

    ReplyDelete
  13. Looks like a lot of great buys! My husband grew up near there in Littlefield! Thanks for sharing with us at The Blogger's Pit Stop! Roseann from This Autoimmune Life

    ReplyDelete

It makes my day to hear from my friends!