Blog Archive

Sunday, July 15, 2018

DIY Cotton Boll Potted Plant


When I spotted these baby cotton boll garlands at one of my favorite shops,    I knew they would be perfect for a project that had been spinning around in my head for a while.
  


I had been wanting to make a cotton boll bush......or maybe a tree.......


I loved the size and shape of these baby bolls.......they look like a cotton "bud" 


I found the perfect spot in the kitchen for my cute cotton boll bush.


H had to help me with this project..... he figured out the "mechanics" part 


I took a few pics showing how I assembled my cotton plant........


Here's what the garlands looked like......I used two of them to make my cotton plant 
   Look at the sweet cow kitchen towel hanging on the oven,    I bought it at the same shop I found the cotton garlands.     I'll give you a short tour around the shop further down my post.


How sweet is that face!


H wedged a block of wood in the neck of the milk can.    H made his block by screwing two 2" pieces of wood together.....that gave lots of support for the pole that he inserted in the center.      Then,   all I had to do was wire my garlands to the pole,  fluff them a bit,   and cover the wood piece in the neck of the milk can with moss. 

  I didn't want to fill my vintage milk can with the foam stuff you would normally use to pot a plant,   but that would be an easier way to do it....lol!


Now for the tour I promised earlier!   
There are so many cute shops in my area.....this one is about 30 miles away,  but well worth the drive.     It's 75 mile a hour speed limit....four lane all the way,   so it doesn't take long!   
There are lots of dairies....about 50.....near where I live so you'll see plenty of decorating accessories with a cow theme at the Milk House Market.     In fact,   the owner is the wife of a dairyman.


Milk House Market is lovingly refered to by the locals as "the Magnolia Market of the Panhandle"      If you like the farmhouse look......you'll LOVE this shop

I thought her metal bucket filled with tumbleweeds in front of the fireplace was such a cute idea.          Yes...... lol.....we decorate with tumbleweeds here in the Southwest.



Enamelware.....


Bedsprings make a fun way to display wreaths and kitchen towels on.....


Pop over to her Facebook page if you want to see more........https://www.facebook.com/milkhousemarket/


Thanks for stopping by.......come back soon!


16 comments:

  1. The website under your picture is not your website. just thought you would like to know. Your farmhouse look just gets better all the time.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Penny,
    What a great idea!! We do not have anything like that in the stores here. I love the shop you showcased!! It is lovely!!
    Hugs,
    Debbie

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love your baby cotton ball tree and thanks for the tour. I'm afraid it would be dangerous for me to spend too much time in the Milk House Market. But what a delightful visit that would be!

    ReplyDelete
  4. You are very creative using the garland to create this cute little tree that fits perfect in your kitchen. Thank you for sharing on #OMHGWW Linky Party
    Come by again next week!!
    Have a great week!

    ReplyDelete
  5. The baby cotton ball tree is so cute! I wish I lived closer to the shop, I would go crazy, farmhouse is my favorite. Thanks for sharing at Merry Monday! Hope to see you next week!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love the cotton ball tree, nice and airy. Would definitely look out of place here, maybe I could do a Fish tree, lol.

    ReplyDelete
  7. That tree is darling, you did such a good job. Milk House Market looks like my kind of store. Thanks for sharing Penny.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Liked your cotton boll tree; I like recycling styrofoam for planters to stick faux flowers into, but that wood base looks a lot more rugged. Shopping vicariously in the Milk House Market was fun, too--and Farmhouse isn't even my favorite look!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Love this tree! It turned out Fabulous and I did head over to facebook and look up Mill House market! Wish I lived closer...

    ReplyDelete
  10. What a fun idea! Thanks for sharing at Vintage Charm--pinned!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Love everything in all the pictures. That cottontail wreath is adorable. I have a bunch of enamel ware Found you on Traffic Jam Weekend Linky Party.

    ReplyDelete
  12. This tree is so cute and that steer...love him!!! Faith, Hope, Love, & Luck - Colleen

    ReplyDelete
  13. This is such a fun creative idea! Thanks for sharing with Wall to Wall DIY Wednesday!

    ReplyDelete
  14. You are my pick for Wall to Wall DIY Wednesday! Thank you for submitting your awesome idea!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I just love your style! So pretty. Happy Summer, Kippi

    ReplyDelete
  16. That cotton ball tree is adorable Penny. You always amaze me with your projects and home decor.
    Thank you for sharing at Create, Bake, Grow & Gather this week. I'm delighted to be featuring your cotton ball tree at tonight's party and pinning too!
    Hugs,
    Kerryanne

    ReplyDelete

It makes my day to hear from my friends!