Blog Archive

Thursday, October 18, 2018

Soft and Subtle Halloween Decor



This year I 'm taking a different approach to decorating my home for Halloween.     In the past,   I have spent hours on end putting up seasonal and holiday decorations.   


This season I spent those hours making new slip covers for the sofa and love seat in the family room and making small changes in the  "every day decor"     I can enjoy these changes over and over again whereas the Halloween decor can only be enjoyed for a few weeks.


Before...................................................................After


I hung two metal envelopes on the small wall that's right by the door to the garage.


I used a small magnet to adhere a pickup loaded with pumpkins print to the envelope.


I decorated the other metal envelope in a corresponding print.       To add a soft touch of Halloween to the family room,    I scattered black velvet pumpkins around.


I try to keep decorations to a minimum on the tables that are on each side of the sofa.    I also don't put breakables on those tables......lol!       We set drinks,  snacks,  papers,  lap tops,  etc on those tables all the time      


The sweet  truck painting is a recent purchase from Hobby Lobby.


I made a pumpkin patch on the sofa with pumpkin pillows that I made a couple of years ago.


These were such a fun and easy project!


Another subtle change I made was to put new prints in the tobacco baskets above the sofa.


You can find these prints here........https://www.onsuttonplace.com/free-fall-printables-diy-wall-art/


I added a couple of black velvet pumpkins to the existing mantel decor.....






H rolled up the blue rug that I've had under the coffee table for a couple of years,   and took it to the studio to store it for a while.     I'm auditioning a white throw under the coffee table to see if I would like to get a  big neutral rug for the family room.    I'll live with the throw it for a while and  then make a decision about the rug.


At the far end of the family room  you can see that I have the  drape drawn on the opening to the sun room.     It has been cloudy and raining today so I have all the lights on and the drape drawn to make the  family room nice and cozy.     In a little while,    I'm going to shut down the lights.....get in my recliner.......cover up.......and read!


I know the family room doesn't scream Halloween,    but I like the softer subtle look I've created.......


I also am enjoying the pop of color on the sofa and love seat with my new covers!    








12 comments:

  1. I love the new covers on your sofa and loveseat! I also decorate for fall and not specifically for Halloween. I so enjoy your blog! Thank you for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I always love your home decor. Those pumpkin pillows are so cute! For the metal wall envelopes, where did you find the prints of the old truck with pumpkins? Thanks for the inspiration and for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  3. The new covers fo the sofa are adorable and romantic
    Hugs

    ReplyDelete
  4. Penny, everything looks Boo-tiful! have a good weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  5. The slip covers are darling Penny. Also, love the tobacco basket with the roses. I have never thought of black pumpkins, but these are cute.

    ReplyDelete
  6. It is a lovely romantic spin to Halloween.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love all of your sweet Halloween touches, but especially those pumpkins on the sofa! Here from The Scoop.

    ReplyDelete
  8. It might not scream Halloween, but it looks soooo inviting and comfy!

    ReplyDelete
  9. The subtle look is lovely. I love your pumpkin pillows, what a fun idea! I put up 'fall' decor around the first time of Autumn and leave it up through Thanksgiving. The pumpkins are universal and as November approaches I will slip in some turkey trinkets and extra gourds as well.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Penny,
    Love the new slipcovers!! The fabric is lovely!! And those pumpkins are darling!!
    Hugs,
    Debbie

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love the ruffled slipcovers. Thanks for sharing at Vintage Charm!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Such a soft and welcoming room. The sofa covers are so lovely and sweet.

    ReplyDelete

It makes my day to hear from my friends!